Tomorrow is the first day of the lunar new year or Chinese New Year as many people know it as. It's a fun festivity. When we lived in Texas, we went to the Dragon Dance every year. I am very sad that I don't get to go this year.
Usually before the dance, there is entertainment such as martial arts fighters.
You know the dragon is coming when they blow the firecrackers to scare away the spirits from the new year. Then comes the star of the show.
We have always followed the dragon into the store. The dragon visits each business and the owner feeds the dragon oranges and lettuce for good prosperity. The dragon will spit out oranges at the crowd. One year Mina got hit on the head with an orange. I hope that means good luck!
I am pretty bummed that I don't know of any dragon dances around here. I want my children to know their culture. I have looked all over the net and find nothing.
We won't have any family to visit either. New Years is a very big deal in our family. We eat lots of good food, play lots of games and the kids usually get money in red envelopes. Desmina usually makes out like her bandit. We have always put it in her bank account to save towards college.
We can have our own celebration, but it's really no fun without the big family get together. I think that this is one holiday I may actually start flying home to. To me it's a bigger deal than Christmas and Thanksgiving. I grew up on this holiday.
If I would have thought about it I would have invited people over from API for a New Year party, but it's way too late and I haven't planned anything.
Perhaps I will have my house blessing tomorrow so I feel like I'm doing something for the New Year.


2 comments:
Awww, happy new year!
We had a small celebration at go club, I brough pot stickers and spring rolls (bought at the coop ^^) and my friend brought some really good rice cakes
I think there is some kind of New Years celebration at Dartmouth, but might be for students?
Karen
I think it sounds like so much fun! It's also hard when reality of being far from the things you loved about a previous home sets in. I totally understand, as I'm really missing my mom a lot right now.
Post a Comment