24 February 2007

First time geoaching


was a bomb.

It was a fun treasure hunt. It took us around downtown of our city. Looking for dates and numbers of the history of our town.

A lot of the monuments were buried in the snow, so we had to dig it out. Fred did all of the digging. Poor guy's socks were all wet. Next time we will wear snow pants...if I can find any that fits me.




The treasure hunt took us around the Green, looking for five dates and five numbers.



Then calculated it with the formula "Nannyogg" gave us.

Now time for the actual hunt:

We started on the trail. We brought the stroller along. Fred didn't want me carrying Mina around because he didn't want me carrying the extra weight.

But we couldn't push the stroller on the trail so we walked instead. I did end up carrying Mina on my front and really wish I brought my wrap to wear her on my back. I couldn't handle the extra weight in front, but I would have been able to counter my front load if she were on my back.



The coordinates took us off trail and onto an actual street. I didn't take pictures of it. I didn't think to, now I wish I had. I am not sure if we have the correct coordinations, or even the correct numbers. Although we triple checked our calculations, we were not too careful about our data. Luckily, we know Ms. Ogg and she can hopefully give us a hint or two.
I guess it's good that we didn't find the cache, because I forgot our travel bugs. Hey, at least I remembered our pencil which ended up being lost somewhere in the snow.

Overall, it was a fun experience despite Mina's grumpiness. I think next time I will bring my wrap and perhaps a sled as well. It was just so close to home that we didn't want to drive and pulling a sled down the street would have shred it to bits.

I do have to add, that we need to figure our our GPS unit. We put our living room in as a waypoint, and even had trouble finding it using it. It kept saying we were 30 feet away from the living room even though we were in the exact spot where we programed it. I don't even think our living room is even 30 feet.

No comments: