14 February 2007

Cake is healthy if you add strawberries, right?

Mina's little friend turned two last week. We are going to have a mini-party for her tomorrow. We told Nana that we will make the cupcakes. That is the least we can do since Desmina is such a big eater and is always begging for food. Besides we can make them vegan.
Of course Desmina was my special helper.




I veganized this recipe from one I found.
Strawberry Cake
3 cups flour
2 t baking powder
1.5 t salt
2 bananas, cut in half and smushed.
1 c margarine
1.5 c turbinado sugar
2 t vanilla
2/3 c soy milk (we used rice today)
1 c strawberries (we added much more than 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 375. Sift flour once, then measure the 3 cups. Add baking powder and salt and sift. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl cream margarine until light, then gradually beat in sugar. Continue beating until light and fluffy. Add banana halves one at a time, beating well after each addition. Toddlers are great at smashing bananas. Add vanilla and blend. Add dry ingredients alternatively with soy milk beating well after each addition until smooth. Fold in berries and bake for an hour. Covering the cake with foil if it bakes too quickly. I was able to make 2.5 dozen, but I think I was very generous with each cupcake.

They are baking right now. I'll add pictures when they are done! They smell very good. Fred is already asking for one and Desmina pulled Fred into the kitchen and told him she wanted the bread that was in the oven.

The outcome:

This was the first time eating a cupcake made with refined sugar. She didn't end up liking it. I was secretly relieved. The cupcakes were delicious, despite my daughter's opinion. She isn't used to the sugar. She had the same attitude towards the Toffuti® cuties.

1 comment:

chanale said...

Oh, those sound so good! I'd count them as a fruit serving. ;)

I'm just a novice baker, so I'm too chicken to veganize non-vegan cupcakes just yet. But there are still so many from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World that I haven't tried, so that will keep me busy for some time. :)