"That kid." You know the one that hit your precious baby at the playground. Or the one that is always screeching at the top of her lungs. What about the one that eats glue all the time? Then there is the biter.
As a parent, we want to protect our children. We want to think that our children would never to such and such. No, not my Charlie. There must be something obviously wrong with that child or else she wouldn't be biting all the time. It is clear that her parents are just not disciplining her.
As a parent of "that kid," I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with my parenting. My children are perfectly normal. I just happen to have a biter, or did rather. If you followed my blog, you may remember that Desmina has had several incidents with biting the land lord's daughter and another "precious child." Luckily the land lord was understanding and never kicked us out. The parent of the other child, on the other hand, failed to see that her child was also part of the problem. Now I'm not saying that Desmina was always guiltless.
This period of time caused me a lot of grief, heartache, and low self esteem. Being a parent of "that child" is a very hard pill to swallow. I just hope that she won't always be labeled as such. I'm just tired of the looks, the rolling of the eyes, or the whispers every time I don't react quick enough. People are so quick to judge the offspring of someone else. Why must we have these "mommy wars?"
I just ask for you to remember before rolling your eyes at a kid on the playground, or telling all your friends that Roscoe's mom lets her children run wild, take a step back. Please remember that sometimes "that child" can very well be your own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I have "that kid" sometimes too. Thankfully he mostly just hit me. I know what you mean!
I am a lurker, I admit. But I had to leave a comment. I am also the mother of "that kid" (also a biter). I can fully understand the looks, the unspoken advice, and the complete lack of understanding. I know keep that in mind when I start getting frazzled by kids I don't know. I think you said it very well!
Yep. I'm "that mom." My kid is the one hitting and pushing the others kids at playdates. It's tough, I agree.
He's not even doing it to be mean. He just has no impulse control and no awareness of his own strength.
It's still totally embarassing!
Post a Comment