I have never truly embraced my femininity. I have always been to busy being angry at women being objectified. I shudder each time I pass a Hooters or any similar establishment. I roll my eyes when I see ads with heaving breasts. Yet I have to admit there is something powerful and alluring about our bodies. Our bodies are built to create and sustain life. Becoming a mother helped me realize that.
As I look at my daughter and in my expectations I have for her , I have an epiphany. How can I be a true feminist if I suppress the side of me that I am actually fighting for?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
That's really cool, Cynthia! The journey of incorporating the mothering part of us into a whole is quite an adventure, isn't it? I think it helps us touch base with parts of us that we have pushed aside for whatever reasons. And as you've said, it can allow us immeasurable growth -- if we allow ourselves to pay attention to those pricks of thoughts that can lead to an epiphany.
I remember one day finally feeling like I was s regular person. Mothering helped me do that. I probably have some Asperger's attributes because although I enjoyed life within my family (I was extremely shy) and other setting where I fit in -- music, and as I grew group of friends in junior high, friends in college, I felt outside of things as a child in certain settings. Brownies and girl scouts was one. I didn't know how to mix in with other girls. i was a tomboy. Thought it ridiculous to have to keep a chart of things I ate for two whole weeks just to achieve some level. The badge thing didn't appeal to me. So I did a lot of the activities, but since I never did complete that chart, I never got out of Tenderfoot or whatever the first stage was and they didn't give me my badges. lol
I remember looking around after being a mother for a while, I realizing that I felt like a regular person, not set aside, but in the midst of things, doing what mothers do all over the world.
We can learn so much watching our children, seeing them grow and embrace things, and we can reach inside ourselves and find so much within us to express.
And, I also wanted to tell you that I have always lived the way you marvel and celebrate your children for who they are and how you let them become themselves.
Hey there! You know I was just thinking about how much I missed my LLL group up there! Thank you for your lovely comment!
Growing up I was a bit uncomfortable around other girls as well. Just could never relate.
Motherhood for me too helped me feel like a normal person. Sometimes I look outside myself still and can't believe it.
Cynthia, you always inspire me to be who I want to be. What a thought provoking post. If only the world could subscribe to the glory in each of us...myself included! Peace and blessings to you and your family during the lengthening days as we pass the solstice.
Post a Comment