05 March 2009

Yesterday I had more of an idea of what I'm going to be doing for work. I admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed and intimidated.

I will be in charge of six mentally retarded adults. In addition to ensuring they have their medication and do their daily chores I will train with them. Training is one of the biggest reasons why they are in the home. They are striving to eventually becoming independent individuals. Each client has his or her own plan such as working towards expressing anger in appropriate ways.

My biggest challenge I think will be being aware at all times of where everyone is. I am able to keep track of my two darlings. But it's like adding four more to the mix. Between transporting them to different places, giving all six their medicine, baths, and chores it's a very busy house. Eight hours doesn't seem like enough time to do all this. Actually, less then eight hours since they will probably be in bed by nine or ten. I have to do all this before they go to bed?

I just have to come up with a system to ensure everything is done at the end of the day. And of course get the clients to like and respect me. They don't have to like me every day, but that we can build a relationship of trust.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my, that does sound a little overwhelming. EEEEKKK Good luck, you my dear are so much stronger than me. I couldn't do it.

Shelly said...

You can do it hon!

Stacy said...

This is similar to what I do. If you ever need any tips, please let me know.