25 February 2009

Life changes

Well, if you don't know already, my husband was laid off on Monday. We are doing good though. Trying to see the positive sides. I am hoping that it will lead to a good opportunity for him. Fred has so much talent and potential. Perhaps he can pursue his dreams of writing a fantastic screen play. Or maybe he will take a chance and start his own business. Fred has lots of innovative ideas.

I on the other hand may have a job. As of now it isn't official. Or doesn't seem official. It is so surreal.

Let me start by saying how I found the place. While walking to the park with the kids one day, I saw two dogs wandering around outside. I assumed they belonged to this particular house. I knocked and rang the door bell. A woman came out and told me that the dogs were not hers. The house is actually a residential home for mentally disabled adults. I mentioned that I used to work for autistic children as an ABA therapist. She then said that if I ever needed a job then to stop by again. At the time I dismissed it, but still kept it at the back of my head.

I guess I didn't think that I was qualified enough. I was terrified of going back to the house and inquiring about employment. Will they laugh at me as soon as I leave. Will they turn the noses at me? I didn't go there again until yesterday.
I told myself, I'm just going to ask if they are hiring. What do you know? They were! I asked for an application and attempted to fill it out there. We were on the way to the park. Fred had Desmina and I had Bodhi. Bodhi of course was being himself. I decided to finish the application home and just hope that Bodhi wasn't too distracting for the workers.

As I was leaving I saw a monarch butterfly. I wondered if it was a sign. All of a sudden two dogs ran towards Roscoe. The same two dogs that was running around. Is it the universe telling me that it's going to be OKAY? Who knows. I am sure those dogs run around all the time. I do like to think that it was a form of communication to ease my mind.

I admit it. I was still intimidated when I got home. Am I qualified enough? I have not worked in five years. Will they gingerly take my resume and snicker as I walk away?

Today, I had to force myself to walk to that house. I kept telling myself that it doesn't hurt to try. I will not get anywhere if I don't ask. And who cares if they laugh at me. I don't have to go back ever and again. I have nothing to lose, only something to gain.

And I did gain something. A job! The same woman came out and interviewed me. She seemed really impressed with my resume. She didn't flinch that I have been out of the work force for five years. For now, I don't have a position because they don't have any available times yet. Well they do, but its for over the weekend. The kids and I are not ready for that. But she will try to move people around so that I can work. If not, then I will be the back up person until a position is open. My training starts Monday. I am so nervous and excited at the same time. I am still in shock. Honestly, I am just waiting until I get that position before I call it official. I do like the idea of having a potential job.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like a great opportunity for you! You have such a good attitude about this. Maybe to soon to know, but how does it affect school plans?

veganbaby said...

I still plan on going to school part time. We can only afford one class at a time anyway.

Melissa said...

Wow. That's great! Congrats!!
I too love your attitude about it all.