
These berries are slightly toxic, but apparently not so much so as the ones in Europe.
How do I know?
Guess who decided to sample the berries?

This hungry monkey did.
So I call poison control and because neither my neighbor nor I can identify it, we have to go the nursery to make 100% sure what it is. After a trip to the nursery, I know now that American cranberries are bitter, wild grapes are not red, birds will pick off the edible berries, but I still do not know what these berries are. The man at the nursery is not comfortable enough to give us a solid yes or no whether or not these mysterious berries are poison.
Our next venture is to the oh so fun ER. After several hours, we find that these berries are called bittersweet berries. I would provide a link, but I can't find it myself. If we were in Europe, she could have been sick. She will be okay, just may have some nausea and diarrhea.
I hope that M has learned a valuable lesson today: Do NOT eat food you find off the street!


1 comment:
OMG! Poor M! When I was little we use to play with those "toxic berries" we were told by my mom never to eat them, but I was always tempted lol. We just put them on top of or mud pies. Hope she doesn't get sick!
Post a Comment